Friday, June 13, 2008

The Sky Looks Under the Weather

"It looks like tornado weather." I've never seen a tornado, but I hear that it looks like what the sky looks like now. Green and pink, it reminds me of a Bubble Yum package stretched out into transparency, making our sun look like one of the suns on Tatooine. It portends bad times, which is befitting since today is a Friday the 13th.

The second week of Shady's tablework is done. Good. Many Shady regulars are SJSU alums, so it's hard not to associate one organization with the other. I'm reminded how I am not an alum, and how long it took me just to get to State. It's been a long road; sometimes I liken my life to crossing a street. Instead of going across I went around the block, the REALLY long way. Pluses, minuses? I think it's easy for someone to have a goal and fulfill it. Maybe not the fulfilling part, but the direction part is easy. I like that sense of direction, but I don't think I've ever had it. I can keep an eye on what's in front of me, but the other one can only kind of make out the rest of the scenery. My life's been like driving without my glasses: all I see is color, size, and how fast it's coming at me. It sounds like rationalized justification, but my life has been one great excuse after another to see the world. Add my attraction all things "shiny" and I'm looking more like Mr. Magoo.

It's wonderful to know that there's other stuff going on in the world besides what I'm doing. It's really easy to become a self-absorbed, microcosm'd person. Funny how we can have resources to touch the world without ever leaving our front door, and how we can master what we expose ourselves to but just not clocking links. I love surprises, and man, I'd never know what was around the corner (let alone know that would enjoy it!) if I didn't fail at the thing that I thought I was good or wanted to be good at.

I've been running into people from high school with increased frequency. I'm approaching my 10 year reunion, and I can't help but think I'm going to be reminded of stuff that I purposely forgot. I've traveled a long way to get to where I am now--I think it's appropriate to revisit what I figuratively count as the beginning.

No comments:

Let's do this.

Let's do this.
Exactly. Thanks, Elaine.