Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Real Life Should Be An Actionable Item -- The Promise

This school sticks out at me like a e-mail I've read but can't delete. I can't bring myself to remove it from my life because I don't know if I'll need it later. I just keep coming back to it, referencing it, reading it aloud and thinking I'll know what to do with it... later.

Getting Things Done has taught me to make things into "Actionable Items" -- things-to-do, basically. A topic, a job, a short story that has a plot and an ending. Re-reading this school is needlessly extending my brain power. I'm now thinking about resolving it, it just occupies my mind. It's a detail that I did not have to remember. It's extraneous.

It doesn't have a clear reason for being in my life. I don't know why it's on my plate.

This novella has to end, soon. There are thousands of Items around me, vying for my attention, and here this school stands like an elephant in a broom closet. Being in its proximity doesn't mean it has to be on my radar.

I'm going to make a deadline for myself. This is Barefoot's time--its year, really--and my relationship to the Foot dictates that it has my attention. I told myself that right now is not the time for school, and I very much believe it. Others have told me that the Foot will never run at 100%, that something will always be off, and that I can't keep pushing back school. I very, very much believe that.

So in one year, Fall 2009, I will go back to school. I will finish it. It will be off my plate, outta my head, and I will have something to show for it besides outstanding holds. Expensive receipt, here I come.

No comments:

Let's do this.

Let's do this.
Exactly. Thanks, Elaine.