Monday, December 15, 2008

It's 1:46 AM and I'll be asleep soon.

It's comforting to know your ex is with a decent person and not a faceless monstrosity.

I explained to Monica my dating history which really reads like a short resume of the life of a serial dater.

I never pegged myself to be someone who must always be in a relationship, but given that choice and my distinct bent of being an asshole when I'm single, I gladly accept that almost needy title.

There is a two month countdown for me to be battle-ready and physically enable others to do so. I'm training for it now.

While I am trying to think of my last girlfriend as a friend with whom I don't speak, it's hard for me to do that since:

A. I frequently speak to my friends, and
B. In my present-tense, classify-everything way of living, somebody has to be that "villain"

And "villain" is the worse word for me to use as it is both antithetical in its intent and reality, but as in the third paragraph, admitting another word opens up a can of worms I'm not ready to cover right now. If the opportunity for a dialogue ever happens I will take it--or just listen, a lot.

I'm a better boyfriend now than I ever was. Still need to improve.

Is being a kick-ass boyfriend a worthwhile goal? I know being an equivalent mother or father is, and girlfriends are awesome, but being an okay boyfriend is all that's expected. As an individual pursuit, is it something that a guy can pursue and find personal joy from, or is it an incidental achievement? Is being a kick-ass boyfriend just being a kick-ass human being? Shouldn't being an awesome boyfriend be assumption in addition to accomplishing other things? If companionship is all I exceed at am I less of a person?

Oh man, I didn't see this post going where it went.

I should have slept sooner.

No comments:

Let's do this.

Let's do this.
Exactly. Thanks, Elaine.